The rapid change of climate brings its inconveniences. We notice them the most in the summer months when it seems there’s no air to breathe, only steam and fire. Gladly, there’s air conditioning and dehumidifying tech that saves us. But it doesn’t save our finances.
That being said, you don’t have to freeze or boil to achieve considerable electricity savings, working hard on your power of will not to switch the A/C on. There are easier, more convenient ways.
Maintain Your A/C Regularly
Maintenance shouldn’t be performed only to make appliances work for a longer time. First of all, the efficiency of their operation depends on how good their condition is. Call a technician every now and then to look at your A/C and update/upgrade its parts.
And don’t forget to check the air filter with every maintenance session. This part alone can save you up to 15% of the power the A/C is using to heat or cool the room. A dirty filter slows the capacity of the appliance, thus increasing electricity bills.
Seal Your House (Works for Summer Too)
Sealing your house isn’t only effective for the cold months. Cool air also tends to escape through the same pathways as the warm air in winter. Seal your home, and you’ll need much less heating or cooling.
Aside from the main living part of the house, make sure to check the attic and basement. Most of the time, the most dramatic leaks occur there.
This will allow for considerable electricity savings throughout the year, which you should aim for.
Change Regular Bulbs to LED Ones
LED lights are the deciding factor when it comes to cutting electricity costs. They use 75% less energy than regular bulbs and last 25+ times longer. There are savings all around if you’re opting for LEDs.
Did you know that common incandescent bulbs only use 15% of the power to light your house? And do you know where the other 85% are going? Almost all of that power goes into heat. As a result, you can’t cool the room down without excess energy use, and you waste a lot on the actual lighting. LEDs solve all those issues.
Unplug Everything You Don’t Use
When not in use, every appliance has to be not only turned off but unplugged. Each one generates just a little bit of heat when plugged in. While a single charger won’t heat the house much, when you add up everything that’s been in use, you’ll see a difference in several degrees.
Buy a Smart Thermostat
Smart tech can save you a lot of money. A smart thermostat will make it easier to manage the temperature at home, automatically adjusting settings when needed. As local governments encourage installing such technology, you can find lots of options for sale, which will save you even more.
Use every appliance wisely, keep in mind the heat they are producing. Switch everything off when you leave home and change regular technology for smart, LED, etc. At the end of the day, you’ll have electricity costs cut without lots of effort while living a comfortable life in the microclimate you find the most suitable for you and your family.